SSH Installation and Usage
Document revision 29-Nov-2002
This document applies to the MikroTik RouterOS V2.6
The SSH feature can be used with various SSH Telnet clients to securely
connect to and administrate the router.
The MikroTik RouterOS supports:
The MikroTik RouterOS has been tested with the following SSH telnet terminals:
- SSH 1.3, 1.5, and 2.0 protocol standards
- server functions for secure administration of the router
- telnet session termination with 40 bit RSA SSH encryption is supported
- secure ftp is not supported
- Winbox connection encryption (TSL)
- Secure CRT
- Most SSH compatible telnet clients
Contents of the Manual
The following topics are covered in this manual:
The 'ssh-2.6.x.npk' (less than 1MB) package for installation of SSH is required.
The package can be downloaded from MikroTik’s web page www.mikrotik.com.
To install the package, please upload it to the router with ftp and reboot.
No additional settings are required.
You may check to see if the SSH package is installed with the command system
The uncompressed package will use approximately 1MB of additional Flash/HD IDE memory.
A minimum amount of additional RAM is used. No hardware upgrades are required.
PuTTY is a free Windows (all Windows) SSH client which needs no installation.
It is one .exe file which can be downloaded and run.
Download this program from
- After downloading, run the program,
- Set the connection type to SSH,
- On the first connection to the router a Security Alert will notify that
the server’s host is not in the registry. Answer 'YES' to trust this server.
- The normal router login will not be display. Instead, 'login as:' and
'firstname.lastname@example.org’s password:' will appear.
SSH client exists (and generally is istalled by default) for all standard Linux
The command: ssh –l [username] [router address] will initiate a connection.
Winbox connections are encrypted (TSL) if ssh package is installed.
© Copyright 1999-2002, MikroTik