Community discussions

MikroTik App

compgeeks
just joined
Topic Author

MS Radius and Mikrotik

Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:02 pm

Has anyone used the Microsoft IAS (RADIUS) with a Mikrotik? I've got the MAC authentication to work with it but I'm wondering if I can do Bandwidth throttling also.

Thanks,

coffeedragon
just joined

Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:30 pm

I would be interested to hear about how you got IAS to work. I have been trying to get it working with my MT but can't seem to. I would like to do username/password based auth using the domain accounts in Active Directory but after setting up IAS and the MT, every time the MT makes a Radius request to IAS it gets rejected. I've tried formatting the username several ways, user@domain.com, domain.com\user, etc... but with no luck.

You mentioned that you have it working with MAC auth. How do you set it up to do that through IAS? Everything I've seen in IAS says it only verifies logins against Active Directory.

Thanks,
Sam

edzix

Re: MS Radius and Mikrotik

Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:24 pm

Has anyone used the Microsoft IAS (RADIUS) with a Mikrotik? I've got the MAC authentication to work with it but I'm wondering if I can do Bandwidth throttling also.

Thanks,
take a look at the link below, this question is already answered in the forum:
http://forum.mikrotik.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=866

Edgars

schickb

how?

Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:22 pm

Can anyone give us a hint on how, I am having the same problem, the link (above) to the "answered forum" just says "Yes it works" but is a locked forum...

ccrum

Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:21 am

It's very simple...set up an IAS client with the sared secret. That is it. There are no special settings for it. IT doesn't need framed-ip or anything. Jst create the client with the IP and shared secret and it works. I have several working on IAS this way.

Cameron

schickb

ok

Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:06 am

I got it working, there are some tricks that you need to know. A default install will not work. You need to change your system (or user) policy to have the passwords stored in a diffrent way. And if you are using Active Directory you have to authorize IAS to access the users.

It does work, but you need to jump through some minor hoops.

I found a link talking about setting IAS up with Cisco and that helped walk you through the steps. (sorry I don't have the link anymore)