Community discussions

MikroTik App

dwright
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mikrotik Hotspot manager

Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:07 am

Will this be eventually available for download, or is this something you will be hosting from your servers for free/subscription?

Just wondering where this will be going for future reference.

Dan

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:16 am

second choice, probably. maybe we will change some plans, but currently it is planned as a subscription service on our servers (backup servers are planned as well)

Michaelg

Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:10 am

I think that’s the wrong way to go. I would newer rely on a remote service for something as important as authentication service.
I would rather buy a software licence, and run the service my self.

Michael

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:07 pm

the backup servers could be located at cutomer locations (your offices) and they would synchronize the information. there are pros and cons for this, but we are still working on this, and the idea is not yet complete.

currently you should all test the manager and write us about things that you like/don't like etc so we can improve it over time and then launch it as a final solution. i think a lot of people would like it

jarosoup
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:25 pm

Are there any plans to integrate billing functionality into this software?

ilero

Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:44 am

How about adding a self-signup page which authenticates the user via CC authorization?

edzix

Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:19 pm

Jarosoup, can you please describe further what exactly you want to see in this manager? What kind of billing?

Edgars

jarosoup
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:05 pm

By billing, I mean to have all of a customer's billing info, along with the normal login and personal info (which you've got now) and the ability to point the software to Authorize.net or some other billing gateway so that you can bill these folks who sign up. So your hotspot manager would not only control the user's login, but also how they pay. Think integrating what you've got now (which is nice BTW) with the functionality of the billing side such as what you would see when you signup at a T-Mobile hotspot - but all of that happening on one piece of software (with maybe an offsite or different database server containing all of the valuable credit card info that can be accessed from the hotspot manager software). This kind of software is rather rare right now (unless you want to pay lots of $$$). I think you guys could do really well if you offered this kind of functionality. Please feel free to contact me via my profile email if you would like any of this clarified or further input.

Slightly OT: I agree with others that being able to install this hotspot manager software on our own networks would be very critical to user acceptance. I understand why you would want to host it, but I think if you offered it as a downloadable (for a fee of course) standalone software you would be better off and more people would be interested in it.